Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Marcel Duchamp


         Marcel Duchamp's Rotary Glass Plates piece is considered one of the first interactive pieces of art. My first experience with viewing this lead me to believe that it was a one dimensional art piece. At first sight, it looks like it's just a windmill with a wooden base. It wasn't until after I found a video that panned around the whole piece did I realize the true nature of the art work. 


         It can be considered as an interactive work because it's up to the viewer to decide how they want to experience it. If you walk around it, you come to realize that the circle is actually made up of several panes of glass that are sized to create a circle when viewed from a front orthogonal view. I think this adds another dimension of interactivity and interest because if you walk around the object, you get a totally different art piece.

         For me, it's kind of like a metaphor for life. Your view on it can change with different perspectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment